FIBA U16M 2011

My first tournament with FIBA.

I wondered along as a well-meaning simpleton, and I did just about enough, I guess!

Seb at FIBA looked after me (along with Lubo) and was an absolute star. I remember he said "please add a headline to each game report, but if you don't think of one, I'll add one," and my mind froze so I leaned on him accordingly throughout, a terrible liberty on my part!

I was horribly under-prepared, and stunned (in my naivety) by how seriously everyone took it. I didn't even play basketball properly (as a 6'8" guy!) until I was 15 or 16 or so, and these guys were so organised, dealing with expectations, and playing at a high level. It was eye-opening.

Further to my naivety, I was trying to take notes while interviewing people, rather than using a recorder!!

The Czechs beat Spain on opening night to set the tone.

Interview with Rolands Smits, who has gone on to sign for Barcelona and play for the Latvia senior national team.

A general round-up after three games, including a couple of quotes from Czech star Jan Vesely (who I was lucky to grab two minutes with!).

Mid-tournament chat with Croatian coach Ante Nazor, who went on to win the gold.

Chat with the Spanish coach.

Interview with Turkish forward Metecan Birsen.

A pair of great semi-finals, with Croatia holding on to beat Spain, before the hosts went on a thrilling 20-0 run in the second half to defeat France - a really magical few minutes in the arena in Pardubice.

My preview for the Final, which Croatia won fairly comfortably. I believe my future-wife can be seen alongside me behind the basket on the left side of the main camera-view, and maybe not during the Final but certainly during games earlier in the day she can be seen reading a book during the action! Bless her, not a big sports fan, though she thinks basketball is more preferable than a lot of other sports (i.e. football!).

All-Tournament Team: Mario Hezonja, Martin Peterka, Radovan Kouril, Damien Inglis and Ilimane Diop.

Hezonja was an almost-unanimous MVP, save for one idiotic voter who allowed his hometown bias and dislike for the showboating arrogant side of Hezonja's game to sway his decision (I maintain that Peterka WAS more valuable, but I can appreciate why I may have been "wrong"!).

As of 2018, Hezonja is in the NBA with Orlando Magic, Peterka has played for the Czech national team, Kouril is a steady playmaker in the domestic league, Inglis tried but didn't stick in USA (played 20 times for Milwaukee in 2015-16, including one start) and is now back in France, and Diop is playing regularly in Spain.

Cedi Osman played in the tournament too, and he has gone on to play in the NBA.